Pleiades in the Pilliga - 4 day Group Tour // 20 - 23 March 2020
- Duration: 4 Days
- Location: New South Wales
- Product code: PP2020
DAY 1 - FRIDAY 20 MARCH 2020
Please make your own way to Pilliga Pottery. Pilliga Pottery, a colourful local attraction for its beautiful garden setting and pottery displays, is clearly signposted and is a 10km drive on a dirt road from the main road to/from Narrabri. Our evening includes dinner under the stars with some naked-eye stargazing. Watch as the stars come out one by one, listen for the cicadas and enjoy the bush ambience. Bring your camera and even a telescope if you have one. (D)
DAY 2 - SATURDAY 21 MARCH 2020
We start the day with a cooked breakfast on-site, before heading out to Siding Spring Observatory. Here, we'll meet our guide for a behind-the-scenes tour of the telescopes at Siding Spring at 10.30 am for a two-hour walking tour on the mountain. Together we'll visit working telescopes and learn what amazing science is taking place on this site, every day. The afternoon we'll return via the Sandstone Caves - an area integral to the Aboriginal people that walked this land. A short 1.7km walk is well worth it for the views and magnificent sandstone landscape. We'll have a little downtime before we head out again for an evening of adventure. First, we'll dine at the local Chinese Restaurant, then head out to Milroy Observatory, the new home of the first (40") telescope on Siding Spring Mountain. (B,L,D)
DAY 3 – SUNDAY 22 MARCH 2020
Today we explore the National Park with our local friendly Park Ranger and a picnic lunch. Under their watch, we'll learn about the geology, spot birds and enjoy the wildlife with a picnic lunch. We'll find a walk that suits all levels of fitness and enjoyment.
Ø Breadknife and Grand High Tops
Ø Wambelong Nature walking track
Ø Belougery Split Rock walking track
Ø Mount Exmouth walking track
We return to the Pilliga scrub for our last dinner and stargazing opportunity, taking the opportunity to do a quick citizen science activitiy around light pollution and bugs!. (B,L,D)
DAY 4 – MONDAY 23 MARCH 2020
Thanks for visiting the Scrub. This drought-affected area very much appreciates your visit. Check out is at 10 am this morning, giving you time to pack your bags and enjoy a hearty breakfast. (B)
· ^3 nights accommodation Pilliga Pottery double bed (with ensuite)
· Behind the scenes tour of the Australian Astronomical Telescope
· Guided bushwalk with National Parks Ranger
· *Stargazing dinner under the stars at Milroy Observatory
· Breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea and dinner as indicated
^ Twin or multi-residential rooms are available
* The Stargazing dinner may be rescheduled prior to your arrival and subject to weather conditions. Should the conditions not be suitable for stargazing, this will be substituted by a talk in the conference room.)
· Air transportation, taxes and fees -International and domestic
· Personal items such as emails, laundry, room service
· Alcoholic beverages and drinks with meals
· Health costs
· Personal expenditure and shopping
· Travel Insurance
GETTING TO PILLIGA POTTERY
The program is a self-driving tour and based at Pilliga Pottery located 35kms north of Coonabarabran or 160kms/1.5 hours north of Dubbo. Driving time from Sydney is approximately 6.5 hours. If you prefer NOT to drive on dirt roads, we can meet you at Dubbo Airport/Train Station or in Coonabarabran where you can park your car.
Transport NSW operates regional trains daily from
· Sydney Central Station at 7 am and arrive at 1.45pm
· Dubbo Station at 2.15pm and arrive Central Station at 8.45pm.
- Translink operates coach services to Coonabarabran in conjunction with the XPT rail service.
- Car rental is available from Dubbo Airport, there are several parking spaces available on Siding Spring Mountain. Please drive carefully and be vigilant for kangaroos.
- Flights are operated by Qantas and Rex Airlines.
- Transfers can be organised from Dubbo or Coonabarabran to Siding Spring on request ($175 per person, return, min 2 people)
Terms and Conditions
A non-refundable deposit of $250 secures your booking. Bookings must be received online at www.travelogg.com.au. Bookings close 21 days prior to tour start. Late bookings (within 21 days) are subject to availability and incur $150 per person late booking fee.
>21 days prior to travel = $250
within 21 days 100%
Full terms and conditions can be found at https://www.darkskytraveller.com.au/terms-conditions