INSIDE AUSTRALIA'S LARGEST TELESCOPE - Walking tour
- Duration: 90 Minutes
- Location: Coonabarabran, NSW
- Product code: SSO/DT
In 1974 The Anglo-Australian Telescope was opened by HRH Prince Charles as Australia’s National Astronomical Facility. From first light to this day, the largest optical telescope in Australia has been a world-leading facility discovering exoplanets, supernovae and galaxies.
In this 90 minutes walking tour of Australia’s largest optical telescope, your guide will share the history of this site and share some of the mysteries of our universe it has helped unlock. Better still you'll get INSIDE the building on to the telescope floor where you can see first hand, just how big this machine is. Weather permitting we may even be able to sneak you out to the catwalk to see the best view of the Warrumbungle Mountains.
Dat Tour Inclusions
- Behind the scenes entry into the Anglo-Australian Telescope
- 90 Minute walking tour
- Overview of Siding Spring Mountain geography and history
- Additional tours during school holidays (Thursday to Sunday only)
- Closed Christmas Day & Boxing Day
- Groups on request
- Please arrive 15 minutes early. Tours start on time and do not wait for latecomers.
Image Credit - Dr Angel Lopez-Sanchez