SCHOOL visits to Siding Spring Observatory (Book to Request Dates and Times)
- Duration: 75 Minutes
- Location: Coonabarabran, NSW
- Product code: School
Siding Spring Observatory sits on the summit of Mt Woorut, NSW, set within the stunning National Heritage Listed Warrumbungle National Park and home to Australia's first Dark Sky Place. The largest optical observatory in Australia is an important site for astronomy, astrophysics and space science in Australia and home to the Anglo-Australian Telescope plus many international research telescopes and commercially operated telescopes. From the height of 1165m, the mountain top offers a stunning view of the Western Plains and the Warrumbungle National Park. This 75-minute tour of Siding Spring Observatory is suitable for students of ages 8 and over.
. Entry into the Anglo-Australian Telescope
. Basic concepts of astronomy and physics
. History and overview of Siding Spring Mountain
Tour Times and Conditions.Tours are available on request between Thursday and Sunday at
Group requires a minimum of 12 people and ratio of 1 : 18 Students: Teachers with 14 days notice. All requests are subject to availability and the consent of the Site Director.
Terms and Conditions
- Bookings can be requested online with 14 days notice. All bookings are subject to availability and confirmation of the terms and conditions.
- A Safety Waiver Form will be sent on the booking confirmation and signed on commencement. Any guest unable to adhere to these conditions will be asked to leave the tour program.
- Facemasks and enclosed footwear are compulsory for all ages for entry on the tour.
- Children under the age of 5 are not permitted for safety reasons, and over 5-year-olds must be supervised by parents or guardians at all times.
- Payment and final numbers must be made 7 days in advance or a late fee or cancellation may apply.
Due to the remoteness of the site, the tour may be cancelled due to severe or extreme weather conditions. You will be notified by 3pm the day prior to your tour with the options of a full refund, transfer to another date or credit to be used for the same product. If you chose to cancel after purchase, there is no refund.
Image Credit - Dr Angel Lopez-Sanchez (Anglo Australian Observatory) and Paul Stolk (Newcastle University)